As the calendar year winds down, professional development opportunities such as engineering webinars are utilized more. For some, these sessions provide needed PDHs. For others, it is simply the best time of the year for them to take time for the education. In December, multiple live and on-demand sessions are available.
Live and pre-recorded webinar-based and online education tools have expanded rapidly in engineering circles. Private companies such as HUESKER have established successful engineering webinars. (They offer three more in December. Scroll down.) The Geosynthetic Institute (GSI) offers monthly live sessions as well as on-demand access. And Geo-U offers on-demand geosynthetics education from some of the world’s foremost experts on geosynthetics.
The Geosynthetic Institute’s Dr. Robert Koerner has provided 12 on-demand education sessions to Geo-U. Dr. Ian D. Peggs (I-CORP INTERNATIONAL) has added two, as have Dr. JP Giroud and Dr. Jie Han. The lectures are streamed, so an internet connection is required; but, no special software is needed to be installed on the participants computer. Some downloadable course materials are included.
Some of the courses on Geo-U have been designed to allow the viewer to take a quiz afterwards, one which might qualify them for PDH credits.
Current Geo-U courses include:
- Learning from Failures: Unusual Wind-Blown and Wave-Generated Wrinkle Cracking in a Geomembrane Liner
- Behavior and Analysis of Twenty Solid Waste Landfill Failures
- A Data Base and Analysis of 171 Failed MSE Walls Using Geosynthetic Reinforcement
- Design of Geosynthetic-Reinforced Unpaved Roads
- Mechanisms of Geosynthetic Reinforcement in Roads
- “Whales” And Their Prevention In Geomembrane Lining Systems
- Geosynthetics in Agriculture and Aquaculture
- Landfill Closures: Past-Present-Emerging
- Lateral and Vertical Expansions Over Old and Existing Landfills
- Wet (Bioreactor) Landfills for Rapid Degradation of MSW Organics
- Geosynthetic Applications Used in Heap Leach Mining
- Geosynthetic Applications in Hydraulic Structures
- Lifetime Predictions of Exposed and Nonexposed Geosynthetics
- MSE Wall Remediation and Monitoring
- MSE Wall: Back Drainage Design
- Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) Wall, Berm and Slope Construction Inspection
While accessing full lectures requires payment via the site’s secure e-commerce portal, creating a user account is free and gives the user monthly updates on current and forthcoming courses.
Visit www.geo-u.com and register an account today.
HUESKER WEBINAR SERIES
After a series of well-received, free engineering webinars in September and October on canal lining, international geosynthetics manufacturer HUESKER is enhancing its education schedule with three free webinars in December. More sessions are planned for January.
The December topics will be:
- Asphalt reinforcement (December 2)
- Sediment capping and containment (December 8)
- Geotextile encased columns (December 9)
GEOSYNTHETIC INSTITUTE WEBINARS
The live webinars from the Geosynthetic Institute (GSI) are hosted on the second Wednesday of every month (11:30 am – 1:30 pm, EST). The cost for participation is $200/webinar for GSI members, $250 for non-members.
The next session, “Lifetime Prediction of Nonexposed and Exposed Geosynthetics,” will be December 9.
Learn more at www.geosynthetic-institute.org.0