UPDATE: The early-bird registration deadline for Geosynthetics Mining Solutions 2014, organized by InfoMine in partnership with SLR Consulting, has been extended to AUGUST 1. This international conference is the first mining conference specifically dedicated to the use of geosynthetics within mining. It will be held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 8 – 11 September 2014.
Early registering attendees save CDN $100.
The technical program for the event is top notch, with three short courses, seven keynotes, and 21 sessions. Technical sessions include high-value topics such as design of tailings storage facilities, results of pilot projects using special geomembrane ore covers, GCLs in heap leach pads, and geomembrane stress cracking resistance (SCR).
- Design of geomembranes for tailings impoundments
Ed Kavazanjian, Arizona State University, USA
- Geosynthetic filter performance
Dr. R. Jonathan Fannin, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Geosynthetic solutions from landfills applicable to mines
Neven Matasovic, GeoSyntec Consultants, USA
- Geosynthetics in heap leach facility design and operation
Allan Breitenbach, Ausenco, USA
- Bitumen geosynthetics solutions for mines
Bernard Breul, Axter Coletanche, USA
- International perspectives on mines geosynthetics use and opportunities
Mark Smith, Brazilian Nickel, USA
- Thirty years of geosynthetics in tailings management
Matt Fuller, Tierra Group International, USA
- Geosynthetic Design Considerations for Heap Leach Pads – Extreme Fill Loads on Geomembrane Liner Systems
Instructors: Timothy D. Stark, Ph.D., P.E., D.GE (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA), Robert H. Swan, Jr. (Drexel University, USA), Allan Breitenbach (Ausenco, USA), and R. Kerry Rowe (Queens University, Canada).
- Introduction to Geosynthetics in Mining
Instructors: Dirk van Zyl (University of British Columbia, Canada), Sam Allen (TRI Geosynthetics Services, USA), and Terry Mandziak, P.E. (SRK Consulting, USA)
- Horizontal Drainage, QA and QC: Cost Effective Strategies to Ensure Safe, Leak-Proof and Efficient Geosynthetic Lining Systems
Instructors: Eric Blond, eng.M.Sc.A. (SAGEOS/CTT Group, Canada), Arnaud Budka, ing. (Groupe Alphard, Canada), and Pascal Saunier, P.Eng., Ing. (Afitex-Texel Inc., Canada).
Exhibitors and Sponsors
An impressive list of mining and geosynthetics stakeholders are exhibiting at and sponsoring Geosynthetics Mining Solutions 2014. See the full list here–and, don’t forget to join the conference for an opening night (September 9) reception on the trade show floor from 16:05 – 18:05.