The GeoME Awards were held at Geosynthetics Middle East 2015. While the event was the 7th in the annual series, it marked the first time for the GeoME Awards were presented. The addition was well-received. The final nominees and the winning projects represented a broad range of projects and materials.
The two-day event was held 16 – 17 November 2015 in Abu Dhabi under the Patronage of Abu Dhabi Municipality and with strong geosynthetics industry support. The awards were presented on the first day and saw Maccaferri and CETCO take home the top honors.
Two award categories were part of the inaugural competition:
- Best Geosynthetics Project (Category 1)
- Best Geosynthetics Innovation and Technology (Category 2)
Nominees in Category 1 included:
- TPA GmbH Strabag Group: The development of geosynthetic tubes filled with lightweight expanded clay aggregates in geotechnical structures
- Ministry of Public Works: Use of geosynthetics for asphalt reinforcement – Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Road (E-311)
- Maccaferri Middle East LLC: The 32m high ParaMesh Retaining wall in Al Jais Mountain Road Project, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE
Nominees in Category 2 included:
- Techfab India Industries Ltd: TechGrid Designer Pro – A cutting edge software for the design of reinforced soil retaining walls
- CETCO: Alcoa-Ma’aden Lining System for the Disposal Facility of Red Mud at Ras Al Kahir, Saudi Arabia
- TenCate Geosynthetics: Finnish know-how succeeds in treating problem Mine Wastewater using TenCate Geotube® technology
FUTURE OF GEOSYNTHETICS MIDDLE EAST
There is every reason to expect more Geosynthetics Middle East conferences. SKZ’s concise format and the steady growth of its support annually has created a true international event. It brings together government agencies, construction and engineering firms, and geosynthetics manufacturers, designers, and researchers from around the world.
The UAE location has also given the event close proximity to some of the most innovative engineering being done in the world, including with geosynthetics.
The addition of the GeoME Awards to the conference will only serve to raise the event’s profile.
Follow the latest on Geosynthetics Middle East through SKZ and the GeoME website. Geosynthetica, which has served as a Media Partner to the event throughout its history, will also update readers on future GeoME opportunities as they are made public.
Related: Geosynthetics Industry Profiles0