As the calendar year winds down, professional development opportunities such as engineering webinars are utilized more. For some, these sessions provide needed PDHs. For others, it is simply the best time of the year for them to take time for the education. In December, multiple live and on-demand sessions are available.
GEO-U ENGINEERING WEBINARS
The Geosynthetic Institute’s Dr. Robert Koerner has provided multiple on-demand education sessions to Geo-U. Dr. Ian D. Peggs (I-CORP INTERNATIONAL) has added two, as have Dr. JP Giroud and Dr. Jie Han. The lectures are streamed, so an internet connection is required; but, no special software is needed to be installed on the participant’s computer. Some downloadable course materials are included.
Some of the courses on Geo-U have been designed to allow the viewer to take a quiz afterwards, one which might qualify them for PDH credits.
Current Geo-U courses include:
- Learning from Failures: Unusual Wind-Blown and Wave-Generated Wrinkle Cracking in a Geomembrane Liner
- Behavior and Analysis of Twenty Solid Waste Landfill Failures
- A Data Base and Analysis of 171 Failed MSE Walls Using Geosynthetic Reinforcement
- Design of Geosynthetic-Reinforced Unpaved Roads
- Mechanisms of Geosynthetic Reinforcement in Roads
- “Whales” And Their Prevention In Geomembrane Lining Systems
- Geosynthetics in Agriculture and Aquaculture
- Landfill Closures: Past-Present-Emerging
- Lateral and Vertical Expansions Over Old and Existing Landfills
- Wet (Bioreactor) Landfills for Rapid Degradation of MSW Organics
- Geosynthetic Applications Used in Heap Leach Mining
- Geosynthetic Applications in Hydraulic Structures
- Lifetime Predictions of Exposed and Nonexposed Geosynthetics
- MSE Wall Remediation and Monitoring
- MSE Wall: Back Drainage Design
- Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) Wall, Berm and Slope Construction Inspection
While accessing full lectures requires payment via the site’s secure e-commerce portal, creating a user account is free and gives the user monthly updates on current and forthcoming courses.
Visit www.geo-u.com and register an account today.
GEOSYNTHETIC INSTITUTE WEBINARS
The live webinars from the Geosynthetic Institute (GSI) are hosted on the second Wednesday of every month (11:30 am – 1:30 pm, EST). The cost for participation is $200/webinar for GSI members, $250 for non-members.
The next session, “Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) Wall, Berm and Slope Construction Inspection,” will be December 14. This is the fourth of four MSE wall webinars. Previous sessions (e.g., drainage design) may be viewed at Geo-U (noted in the previous section). See the Geosynthetic Institute website for more information on GSI webinars and to register for the next session.
GEOHAZARDS WEBINAR, DECEMBER 6
The next webinar from the Association of Geohazard Professionals (AGHP) will be presented on December 6 from 2:00 – 3:00 pm (EST). Topic: Geologic Hazards Guiding Risk Management Decisions and Monitoring Options. Steve Borron, Principle Geologist at Global Slope Monitoring LLC, will lead the session.
The 60-minute webinar will address:
- Types of geohazards
- Instrument and monitoring technologies
- Proactive analysis
Cost: AGHP Member ($25); Student members (Free); Non-Members ($150). NOTE: Non-members who are interested in this 1 PDH education and similar engineering webinars should join the association prior to registering. Individual membership is just $95/year. New members will get the member rate for the webinar…making it more affordable than not joining.0